Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What Is Grand Ronde Blood?


The question "What is Grand Ronde blood?" is one that has come up on several occasions during my candidacy. I heard it asked rhetorically at the Candidate Forum held in Portland, Oregon. Most recently it was asked of all the candidates present at the Candidate Forum in Grand Ronde on Saturday, August 15, 2009.

I was disappointed, embarrassed and ashamed of my answer, or the lack there of. I was unable to answer the question and stated that I would have to do some research to give a definitive answer. I do feel that my response was at least honest and I didn't try to fabricate an answer. However, I should know the definition of Grand Ronde blood. This is something that has been haunting me ever since it was asked.

So, you all can bet I did my research and I now know the answer. As it states in the Tribal Constitution, the definition of Grand Ronde blood is "All Indian blood derived from a direct ancestor whose name validly appears on the official tribal membership roll prepared under the Grand Ronde Restoration Act." Again, that is the definition as it is stated in our Tribal Constitution.

Now, I've been putting a lot of thought into the question as it was asked by the attendee at the forum. As I recall, it was actually phrased "What is your definition of Grand Ronde blood?" As you can imagine, I've also researched within myself for the answer to that specific question.

To me, Grand Ronde blood is the fuel for my fire. It is what drives my passion and reminds me that I have a responsibility to the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde. Grand Ronde blood is what my ancestors passed down to me to help guide me and to help the tribe prosper. It is what runs through my veins and reminds me of my heritage and the cultures of our people. Grand Ronde blood is what keeps me pushing forward and helps me to help us all.

That is my definition of Grand Ronde blood. Rest assured that if this question comes up again I will be firing on all cylinders.

Thank you for reading and remember, "TOBY09".

No comments:

Post a Comment