Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Waiting Game



Through the month of July and the first three weeks of August, the "TOBY09" Campaign kept me on the run, to put it modestly. It seemed as if I was receiving a number of emails every day. On top of responding to emails, I would also get phone calls from concerned Tribal Members asking my opinion on certain issues and wanting to know what I could do to help if I were elected. Then there was the two (and sometimes more) hours I would spend on the computer daily to check some of the other candidate's websites and to read the posts written on public blog sites by the Tribal Members themselves. Attending local events is obviously a given. The Tribal Council meetings on Wednesday nights are a must. (If you're a Tribal Council candidate and you're not attending the Tribal Council meetings, I have to question your sincerity and your commitment.) Anyhow, trying to meet with Tribal Members I do not know was challenging but I also felt it should be attempted. Meeting with Tribal members I do know was another obvious commitment and was a good way to become familiar with some of the most concerning issues. In addition to everything listed above, I had to write my letters, hang up signs and design my postcards, campaign cards and t-shirts.

Now, I haven't listed all of the things I have done as part of my campaign but this gives you a good idea of the time commitment that this has been for me and my family. I did not mention the hurt feelings caused by my lack of participation in family events due to the rigorous campaign trail. That is probably a whole new blog in itself.

Since the Grand Ronde Pow-wow, it seems as though things have completely died. As if there is no longer an election going on. I receive no emails, no phone calls and my time on the computer has been cut in half. I see no other candidates campaigning and the public blog sites have turned more into private conversations among Tribal Members. Maybe this is happening because everyone has already voted and now they are just waiting to hear the results. Maybe it's happening because the last three weeks of an election have traditionally been just a waiting game.

Well, as many of you know, I have not ran the "TOBY09" Campaign as many have ran theirs in the past and I'm not about to start now. I am going to attempt to keep this election alive through these next couple of weeks. I am a "walk-in" voter and a lot can happen in two and-a-half weeks. I will continue to post blogs on this site and I am going to post some more video. It doesn't have to end like this and I don't believe it should.

Please don't stop emailing me or calling me. For the rest of you "walk-in" voters, this is a perfect period of time to see who is still working and who is now playing the waiting game. (That might show a bit of character...)

Thank you for reading and remember, "TOBY09".

2 comments:

  1. Toby,

    I agree now is not the time too sit idle and pray you get elected!I don't think anyone in this election is in a position to sit back. I am holding off on casting my ballot until the day of the elections. Anyways I appreciate the fact that you took the time to introduce yourself to me on the day of the candidates forum here at the gym. I'm sorry i didn't take time to ask the questions i have. So i will ask them here:

    1. One thing i see a lack of here in the Grand ROnde Community is infrastructure and Activities for our children. There is no park, swimming pool, no baseball or softball fields. Do you see this as a problem and if so what thoughts or actions would you advocate for as a Tribal Council Member?

    2. How do you feel about term limits?

    3. HOw would you ensure there is equity of services and benefits to members who don't live in the six county area?

    Thanks in advance for anwsering my questions, Good luck and don't stop working cause those of us who have not voted yet, just may be watching to see who is serious.

    Lorena Rivera 980

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorena,

    It was a pleasure to formerly meet you at the forum and I appreciate your questions. It is nice to see Tribal Members becoming interested and getting involved.

    Anyhow, as for your first question, there is a baseball/softball field being constructed right now which I find to be a step in the right direction. A pool and a park would be nice but would require the "buy-in" from the majority on Tribal Council to begin planning for projects like that (which I would be in support of). I think what needs to happen first is to hire a full time Recreation Coordinator, clearly explain the expectation of that individual and assure that they are fulfilling their obligations. In my opinion, the "hang up" with our current infrastructure is the lack of organization. We need planning, organization and follow through.

    I have spoken many times about your second question and I do support term limits. I believe that three terms (nine years) is an adequate amount of time for somebody to serve the membership. I feel that with a tribe that is constantly changing, so should the leadership. I feel our tribe benefits from those who have served long periods of time on council but I also feel it is council's responsibility to groom and prepare the next generation of tribal leaders.

    As for your third question, I feel communication is key. I believe most benefits are available to all members regardless of their geographic location but they don't receive the information they need to obtain such benefits. I also think it is a case-by-case basis. I feel there are different ways to provide specific services to members outside the six county service area. I am guessing that what you really want to know is if I'm in support of providing services and will work to support those outside the six county service area and the answer to that question is yes.

    Again, I appreciate the questions and look forward to speaking with you in the future.

    Toby McClary
    #1471

    ReplyDelete