Search This Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Political Dirt



As the "TOBY09" Campaign continues through the 2009 Election Season, most of the feedback I receive is very positive. Many people contact me and would like to know what they can do to help. I also receive many encouraging and motivating emails wishing me the best of luck. I appreciate the encouragement so much because it keeps me driven and helps me understand that there are people out there that believe in me. As I've said recently, the "TOBY09" Campaign would not have been possible without the help of my supporters.

With that being said, I will refer back to the title of this particular blog. Not all of my experiences have been so positive. Not that the negative experiences were unexpected because they were. However, just because we expect them does not make them any easier to hurdle when they pop up through an election season. I will say that this year, so far, has remained relatively civil and other than the claims of last year's election season, there has not been any occurrences of that caliber thus far. Let's keep our fingers crossed...

I would like my supporters (and everyone else) to know some of the negative scenarios I have experienced through my campaign so far.

My first obstacle was my age. There are still people concerned with electing someone who is not of the elder category. And that is fine. I understand that elders have always made up the majority of our Tribal Council. And to be honest, I am all for having elders on council. It makes total sense. I do believe, however, it should be a little more balanced. I feel that this tribe could benefit from having people of a different generation express concerns and share ideas.

Perception has been another major set back. When I originally announced my candidacy (back in February), there were many rumors about how I was being persuaded to run and that I would be a "puppet" for one side or the other. That I was just coming in to make up a majority or to tear down empires that have been built amongst our current council. These accusations and rumors were totally inaccurate as I want to see our council made up of independent people working together for the betterment of our membership. Trying to reverse people's perception is not an easy task and I continue to try every day.

I have also had my campaign signs defaced with spray paint. This actually occurred during the weekend of Veteran's Pow-wow and there were several other candidates who fell victim to this as well. Not that this was a major set back but I do consider it to be an obstacle in my campaign.

I have received several phone calls where people were upset that I sent them campaign materials in the mail. During these calls, I would listen to the complaints for multiple minutes just to be hung up on before I had the chance to respond. I would like to add that if you do not want to receive campaign materials in the mail, please contact the Election Committee and ask that they remove your name from the mailing list.

Most recently, I was accused of pushing down, hitting and kicking a female Tribal Member when I was a child. I apparently used to call her a "Squaw" as well. These accusations are completely absurd and there is absolutely no truth to them whatsoever. In fact, this particular Tribal Member is 10 years my elder. I would have literally been a child "picking on" an adult. As humerous as this may seem to some, I do consider it to be another hurdle in my campaign. I do not know who all this person has told these stories to but one is too many.

I will close by saying that this blog is not to complain about my hardships. In fact, this year has been less "back biting" than years past. I just want to make people aware of the negative aspects that come with running for public office. If you plan to do it in the future I would suggest growing a shell.

Thank you for reading and remember, "TOBY09".

2 comments:

  1. Toby,

    It is funny that you mention the rumor of harassing a Tribal member and calling them "squaw", since I was just told that last week. Evidently I am not the only one being told that story.
    It's unfortunate, but then again I think you're getting a primer on Tribal Council politics. Rumor-spreading is, and will continue to be, one of the great political mudslinging campaign tactics. I'd like to think people will see right through this stuff, but sometimes this kind of stuff catches on.
    The year I was elected, 2004, a couple of Tribal members asked me if I'd been arrested for streaking. Streaking. No joke. It was hard to take seriously. But that is the kind of thing that gets out there.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually heard that about you. Wasn't that you that ran across the 50 yard line at Autzen Stadium during the National Anthem last year?

    Just kidding. Thank you for the reply. It's nice to know that it happens to everyone else.

    ReplyDelete