Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Campaign Trail

Here we are at the end of April and for most, the campaign trail has not even begun. For me however, I (we) have been at it for several months. When I decided to run for Tribal Council, I knew that the time demand of running a campaign (hopefully a successful one) would be intense. I guess I didn't know the level that the intensity would be. It is very common that I have at least two to three meetings Monday-Friday either on a personal or public level. On the weekends, there are usually at least that many meetings surrounding tribal politics. If I didn't have a cell phone and sticky notes, I honestly don't know how I would keep up. Sticky notes have become a very essential part of my campaign and sometimes I remind myself of Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty when he is trying to figure out how to answer everyone's prayers. 3M owes me...

Now, with all of that being said, I am sure that my family feels as though they play second fiddle. Just because I have tribal and political meetings does not mean that the need for the boys to be picked up, taken to practice or my presence at their games has ceased. In fact, with my now decreasing time spent with them, those things have become even more important. Trying to balance my family and my campaign has not been an easy job. I guess nobody warns you that the time demand will be as intense as it actually is. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention. Either way, doing my schedule and assuring that my time is balanced could be a full time job.

The love of my life, Sandy, has been an absolute trooper through all of this. I don't know why she remains so supportive but I would like to think that it is because she believes in me. Whatever the reason, her intensity of support helps keep me driven and inspires me to keep pushing on. She is one of the most intelligent people I know and her help through all of this has been invaluable. If she wasn't as supportive as she has been, this campaign would be so much harder if not impossible.

Now you have a little bit of history and information as to what has been put into the "TOBY09" campaign. It has been very rewarding also, but the intensity on both ends of the spectrum has been a life changing and learning experience. I am confident that this campaign will push through the toughest of obstacles (because of my support group) and inspire those who might not be as involved as they could be.

Please join me on this journey and remember, vote "TOBY09."

3 comments:

  1. With a last name like McClary, you must have some Scottish roots, right? In many ways then, you could be the next Braveheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FREEEEEEDOOOOOOOOMMMMM of the press!!!
    GO TOBY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toby, the last post was from Steve Soderberg. I chose Google, and I can't figure out how to get my name to show on my posts. Can you email me at stevesoderberg57@gmail.com and tell me what I need to do. Steve

    ReplyDelete